By Andrew Edwards, Staff Writer
On Tuesday, February 4 the City Council gathered a Prattville Town Hall to discuss the eight items on the agenda for that night.
In his Mayor’s report, Bill Gillespie noted that the Prattville Engineering Department installed new solar light, flashing speed limit signs on Fairview Avenue.
“We appreciate them [engineering department] working with this type of innovative technology to enhance our traffic devices throughout the city. We’ve had a lot of positive feedback with our other solar lights throughout the town, so we’re excited to see the reception that we get on these as well,” Gillespie said.
Gillespie then moved onto the current state of fire station number four that will be built next to the Long-Lewis Ford dealership on Hwy. 14. Gillespie says the groundbreaking ceremony date is still in the works, but that it should be announced soon.
Finally, Gillespie urged everyone to fill out the 2020 Census and to participate in the upcoming Mardi Gras event that will be taking place this Saturday in downtown Prattville from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. (with the parade starting at 2:00).
“This is another one of those items that we participate in every year that makes our little corner of the world so cool. It’s what people are looking for in small town America,” Gillespie said.
After his Mayor’s report, the City Council moved onto the eight items on the agenda, all of which were unanimously approved:
- Resolution: To authorize the Mayor to have various weeded lots abated per Title 11, Chapter 67 of the Code of Alabama, 1975, as Amended (Sponsored by Councilor Starnes)
- Resolution: To grant a retail beer (on and off premises) license and a table wine (on and off premises) license to LF3 Prattville TRS, LLC d/b/a Home 2 Suites by Hilton Prattville (Sponsored by Councilor Starnes)
- Resolution: To award RFQ No. 019-015 and to authorize the Mayor to enter into an agreement with KPS group, Inc. for professional services to provide a comprehensive plan update and zoning re-ordinance re-write for the Planning Department at a cost not to exceed $220,000 (Sponsored by Council President Striplin)
- Resolution: To award Bid No. 020-002 to J&M Displays, Inc. for the July 4, 2020 fireworks display program for the performing and creative arts division at a cost of $23,500 (Sponsored by Councilor Boone)
- To release funds to Durbin Auto Parts, Inc. for the removal of existing vehicle lifts and the purchase and installation of three vehicle lifts for the vehicle maintenance division at a cost not to exceed $26,661 (Sponsored by Councilor Jackson)
- To amend the FY2020 budget and to release funds to Johnson Controls, Inc. to install new HVAC control panel and other system improvements at City Hall at a cost not to exceed $42,840 (Sponsored by Councilor Jackson)
- To set a public hearing at rezone property located south of Ridgewood Road and West of Mt. Airy Drive from R-2 & R-3 (Single Family Residential) and R-5 (Patio Garden Homes) to R-3 (Single Family Residential). (Owner: City of Prattville) (Petitioner: James B. Marshall) (Sponsored by Councilor Starnes)
- To authorize the Mayor to enter into an election agreement between the City of Prattville, the Autauga County Commission, the Autauga County Board of Registrars, and the Autauga County Probate Judge at a cost not to exceed $10,000 (Sponsored by Councilor Cables)